About NIHCM Foundation
The National Institute for Health Care Management (NIHCM) Foundation is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to transforming health care through evidence and collaboration.
"Think tanks now are so ideological that they can't really convene a meeting. Where[as] NIHCM sits kind of between that. They're not a lobbyist, they're not an association, they're not a partisan institution, and they're trusted. So this is the right place to actually bring people together to make things happen."
– Bob Kocher, Fmr. Special Asst. to the President on Health Care & Economic Policy
- We build the evidence base by supporting research and journalism of the highest quality.
- We spark insights and collaboration by bringing the best new ideas to large and influential audiences.
- We bring a real world market perspective to issues.
We work with some of the best minds in health care. We have an influential network of partners in federal and state governments, public health, advocacy, academia, media and the private sector, built over the last 25 years. Our Board of Directors includes the CEOs of health plans covering more than 40 percent of privately insured Americans, and our Advisory Board is a group of highly regarded academics, physicians and former government leaders from both sides of the aisle.
What We Do
- Grants for Research and Journalism, $2 million over 5 years
- Awards judged by stellar independent panels of experts
- Webinars on market and policy innovations
- Charts and Infographics analyzing the latest health care data and its implications
- Issue briefs focused on specific pressing health issues
- Briefings, including bi-partisan events on Capitol Hill and expert meetings
- Research Insights summarizing complex research
- CEO Seminars to develop insights to improve health care for millions of Americans
The National Institute for Health Care Management (NIHCM) was incorporated in 1993 by a group of forward-thinking health plan CEOs under the leadership of founding President and CEO Nancy Chockley. In 1998 NIHCM reorganized to maintain the LLC while launching NIHCM Foundation. Through the Foundation, NIHCM has pursued an agenda to build brighter futures for women and children in partnership with the federal government. The Foundation’s focus has broadened over the years to build the evidence base for health policy on a wide range of issues and to promote collaboration across sectors.
In addition to supporting the work of NIHCM Foundation, NIHCM LLC is committed to playing a positive role in the community through charitable giving to improve the health and well-being of vulnerable Americans. Our donations place particular emphasis on women, children, mental health and the social determinants of health, which are also historical focus areas for NIHCM Foundation. In 2018, we supported organizations including: Sasha Bruce Youth Network, UNICEF Kid Power, Horton's Kids, The Trevor Project, Generation Hope, SMYAL, Homeless Children's Playtime Project, Borromeo Housing, My Sister's Place, Street Sense, Calvary Women's Services, Aspire Counseling, Washington Tennis & Education Foundation, Mary's Center, Children's Law Center and The Posse Foundation.