Television and Radio Journalism Award FAQ
The NIHCM Foundation Health Care Television and Radio Journalism Award recognizes excellence in television and radio reporting on health care issues and policy.
Please contact Josh Hamburg at jhamburg[at]nihcm.org if you have entry-specific questions or technical problems when using the online entry system. We can be reached from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.
How does the awards entry system work?
Our paperless awards entry system allows you to draft, edit, submit and monitor the status of your entries. You can log into the system and edit your entries as many times as necessary. Just be sure to click submit before the deadline. After the deadline the awards entry system will be closed to new submissions.
What will I need for the awards entry system?
- contact information for the entrant and all co-contributors
- basic citation information (i.e., length of the piece, when and where it aired)
- names of any organizations providing financial support for your piece or series
- brief summary of the entry and its impact
- the script of the television or radio piece or series (.pdf format required – See best practices for uploading documents)
- contributor biographies – a short paragraph for each author is sufficient (.pdf format required)
- a URL link to your piece (Please contact Josh Hamburg at jhamburg[at]nihcm.org if you are unable to submit a link to your entry.)
Who is the submitter?
The submitter is the person completing the form via the online entry system. The submitter will not be credited as a contributor for the entry unless indicated elsewhere in the entry form. Typically the submitter is the entrant. Occasionally the submitter is a producer, awards coordinator or editor who has been asked to submit the work on the entrant’s behalf.
How is the submitter information used?
After submitting the entry, NIHCM will interact with this individual if there are any questions about the submission (such as incomplete information or illegible .pdf documents).
Who is the entrant?
The entrant is the main contact for the entry. You must choose a single entrant (typically the producer or lead reporter). If the entry is chosen as a finalist, the entrant will be notified. The entrant must be authorized to enter the work on behalf of the production team and/or station.
The entrant is automatically credited as an author/contributor unless indicated in step 2. If the entrant should NOT be credited as a contributor to the entry, you will need to check the box next to "Entrant should not be credited as a contributor to the entry" at the bottom of the Entrant Information form (step 2).
How is the entrant information used?
The entrant may be asked to verify the citation of the entry for our finalist list. The entrant on a winning entry will determine how the prize is distributed.
Who is a contributor?
Anyone who should be credited for contributions to the entry should be listed as a contributor. It is common for the entrant to be the only contributor.
The entrant is listed as a contributor to the entry by default. In some cases an entrant may choose not to be a contributor; for example, an editor may list himself as an entrant instead of choosing a lead reporter, but prefer not to be mentioned in finalist credits. If the entrant should NOT be credited as a contributor to the entry, you will need to check the box next to "Entrant should not be credited as a contributor to the entry" at the bottom of the Entrant Information form (step 2).
You can list up to twenty contributors in the entry form. If you need to include more than twenty contributors, please contact NIHCM.
How is contributor information used?
Contributors to an entry will be informed via email if the entry is chosen as a finalist. They will also be acknowledged in the finalist list and invited to our awards dinner.
We understand that in some circumstances it is inappropriate to share contributor(s) contact information. If so, please select "In care of entrant" above the address fields in the Contributor(s) step. When this box is selected, the entrant assumes responsibility for forwarding and distributing NIHCM's announcements, invitations, physical mailings, monetary payments and physical awards (in case of winner) to the contributor(s).
What are the best practices for uploading documents?
Online Entry Form Requirements:
- Only standard-sized (8.5" x 11") .pdf documents are accepted. Newspaper- and centerfold-sized .pdf documents will not be accepted.
- Do not secure or password protect the .pdf in any way.
- The .pdf extension must use lower case letters for our system to accept it.
- Use only letters to define the name of the document (our system will not accept special characters such as & ' % #).
- We recommend using Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat to create the .pdf. (Using a program such as Quark, Photoshop or InDesign to create the .pdf may cause compatibility issues.)
General Guidelines for Uploading Files:
- Use a unique file name for each .pdf uploaded.
- Use short but specific file names.
- It is not necessary to name the entry or entrant in the .pdf file name. Instead, try to identify the piece specifically, e.g., by date of publication or topic keywords.
- Name your .pdf before uploading as it cannot be changed after uploading.
What are supporting documents?
Some entrants like to include follow-up reporting or additional evidence of the impact of the work. You may include this type of information as a supporting document (.pdf only).
Supporting documentation is not required for entry, and the consideration of these materials is at the discretion of the judges.
How many entries may an individual submit?
For the Television and Radio Journalism Awards, we will accept no more than three (3) entries per entrant.
What happens after an entry is submitted?
After you submit an entry, you will see the entry status on your Submission Dashboard change from "Draft" to "Submitted." You will also receive a confirmation email stating that the entry has been submitted. (The confirmation email will be sent to the submitter's email address.)
You will be able to edit your submitted application until the deadline
The judges select finalists by mid March, and all entrants will be notified of the finalist decision shortly thereafter. The winners will be selected by our judges in April and announced publicly in a press release.
Is there an entry fee?
No, there is no fee to enter the awards competition.