Rising Suicide Rates in the U.S.
About the Data Insights
This infographic depicts rising suicide rates in the US, noting that suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in America. Among young people ages 15 to 24, suicide is the second leading cause of death. Suicide rates are higher among veterans and LGBT youth relative to their peers.
While the numbers are grim, suicide is preventable with treatment and support. You can reach the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
Graph: Deaths by Suicide per 100,000 Individuals, age adjusted
- US Total – CDC Data Brief using NCHS, National Statistics System, Mortality
- All Veterans – VA National Suicide Data Report 2005 – 2016, Office of Mental Health and Suicide Prevention
- Adolescents (15-19, 20-24) – calculated using WISQARS Fatal Injury Data Visualization
- Leading causes of death statistics – CDC, National Center for Health Statistics, National Vital System. 2017 data.
- Veteran suicide rates – US Department of Veteran Affairs – VA National Suicide Data Report 2005-2016. 2016 data.
- LGBT statistic – National Alliance for Mental Health. 2016 data.