Maternal & Child Health Newsletter, Iss. 35
Reducing Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome in Tennessee — NIHCM Foundation recently published a fact sheet highlighting innovative strategies used by BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee Health Foundation to improve treatment for babies born dependent on drugs, or with neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS), to provide support for pregnant women struggling with addiction and to reverse NAS trends.
Webinar & Event Recordings Available
- Health Care for Kids Post-ACA: An Evolving Patchwork of Coverage
- Improving Continuity of Coverage and Care for Pregnant & Postpartum Women
- Opioid Abuse in the U.S.: An Urgent Public Health Crisis
- Reaching Minorities: Health Care Enrollment and Engagement
- Capitol Hill Briefing: Transforming Health Care to Drive Value
Journalism Grantee Updates
- The documentary series "Raising of America: Early Childhood and the Future of our Nation" can be viewed online free of charge now through November 30th.
- A Reveal & New Hampshire Public Radio investigation uncovered 40 years of abuse and neglect of people with traumatic brain injuries and severe disabilities at specialty rehabs in their report "Corruption Runs in the Family at American Neurorehab Centers."
National Coalition Resources
- The National Action Partnership to Promote Safe Infant Sleep released The National Action Plan to Increase Safe Infant Sleep on a webinar hosted by HRSA's Maternal and Child Health Bureau.
Health Plan Initiatives to Improve Maternal and Child Health
The Horizon Foundation for New Jersey has awarded $846,600 in grants to community-based organizations for programs and initiatives focused on improving public health and enhancing quality of life, including grants to Boys & Girls Clubs in New Jersey for an asthma management program and to UrbanPromise Ministries in Camden for an obesity prevention program for students.
Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield Foundation announced a one-year, $100,000 grant to the March of Dimes to support group-based prenatal care and enable the March of Dimes to make group-based prenatal care available to more women in Ohio by supporting programs across the state.
Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield West Virginia and West Virginia Family Health announced that Lily's Place, a residential recovery center for infants born drug exposed, will join their commercial PPO and Medicaid HMO networks.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and its foundation have awarded over $1.2 million to safety net health clinics dedicated to expanding access to health care, including critical specialty care, for Michigan’s underinsured and uninsured residents.
Public Sector Strategies to Improve Maternal and Child Health
The CDC announced an updated version of DATING MATTERS®: Understanding Teen Dating Violence Prevention, a free, online course available to educators, school personnel, youth mentors and others dedicated to improving teen health. New features include graphic novel scenarios, interactive exercises, updated resources and a fresh user experience.
The U.S. Department of Justice’s Office on Violence Against Women (OVW) launched The Center for Changing Our Campus Culture, a new comprehensive online clearinghouse containing the newest information, resources, and materials on sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking on campus. The site is intended for campus administrators, faculty, staff, campus and community law enforcement, victim service providers, students, parents and other key stakeholders.