Press Releases / December 19, 2019
NIHCM Resources on 2019's Biggest Health Care Challenges
Washington, D.C., December 19, 2019 - At NIHCM, our mission is to transform health care through evidence and collaboration. This year, we expanded our portfolio in support of this mission, working with experts in the field to bring you a host of resources on the biggest challenges in health care:
The Opioid Crisis
- Our series of interactive data visualizations depicts the evolution of the opioid crisis from 2000 to 2017.
- Our infographic on the sources and burden of opioid deaths shows how the crisis intensified from 2016 to 2017.
- Our webinar focused on paths to progress in combating the opioid crisis with speakers from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Governors Association and a Massachusetts health plan.
- Our Capitol Hill briefing included an update of the latest opioid overdose prevention efforts and guidance on opioid prescribing from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Our infographic on the challenges of rural health in America showed how shifting populations are leaving people behind.
- Our webinar on innovative solutions to address health disparities in rural America featured speakers from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the University of Minnesota and health plans in Arkansas and Texas.
- With our support, the USC Annenberg Center for Health Journalism hosted a webinar on the impact of rural hospital closures with speakers from the University of Minnesota and The Wall Street Journal.
- Our infographic on mental health trends highlights increasing shortages in mental health professionals as demand for services increases.
- Our Defying Despair webinar series explored evidence-based solutions to address deaths of despair with segments on the science of happiness, mental health trends and suicide prevention.
Social Determinants of Health & Health Equity
- Our infographic on the social determinants of health highlighted their potential to improve community health and reduce costs.
- At our Capitol Hill briefing, Don Berwick provided an overview of the scientific evidence around social determinants of health, and health plan CEOs from Arkansas and Minnesota shared how they are fighting food insecurity and engaging with their communities to meet social needs.
- Our webinar on addressing health disparities in the LGBTQ+ community featured practical solutions including training for medical students, resources for providers and guidance for schools.